The First college under University of Kerala which introduced Aeronautical Engineering with well equipped class rooms and laboratories to prepare the young and dynamic engineers to become globally competent for success and leadership in the areas of Aeronautical Engineering.
Field of Aeronautical Engineering concerned with the design, development, construction, testing, and operation of vehicles with in the Earth’s atmosphere or in outer space. The department offers 4 year undergraduate program in the stream under the name, B.Tech in Aeronautical Engineering.
The Department has a team of highly qualified, dedicated and motivated faculty. The Department laboratories comprises of State of Art equipments such as ‘Low speed wind tunnel, Polariscope, an Aircraft-Husky’ as part of various laboratories, Aerodynamics Lab, Aircraft Structures lab, Experimental Stress Analysis lab, Propulsion lab & Modelling and Simulation lab. The department is supported with Seminar hall & Mini Auditorium for various Technical workshops, Expert talks & Cultural programs. The Duplex library of college is well equipped with a various collection of Aeronautical Engineering books, mostly of foreign authors.
The department prepares the graduates to undertake design, research and manufacturing activities to choose their careers in Aeronautical Engineering industry. Also the students are provided an Innovation centre, UAV Construction lab and Fly Club to enrich experience during this 4 year graduation programme. Apart from academics, department offers activities to enhance the leaderships and societal qualities of students through in-house sports events, out-house NSS activities.
To build competent and perfect aeronautical engineers through skill based education.
- To render the knowledge of the students through curricular, co-curricular and extracurricular activities.
- To inculcate ethical values and develop innovative ideas for the betterment of society.
- To expose the students for the current trends and opportunities in the aerospace industry.
- Aerodynamics lab
- Flight Mechanics Lab
- Aircraft Structural Analysis Lab
- Propulsion Lab
- Airframe Production and Maintenance Lab
Dr. Diju Samuel – Associate Professor
Ph.D. : Aeronautical Engineering (Composite materials)
Area of Interest: Aircraft Structures, Composite Materials, Friction Stir Welding
M.E. (Aeronautical Engineering), Anna University
B.E. (Aeronautical Engineering), Anna University
11 years of teaching experience
Ms. Greeshma V.S. – Assistant Professor
M.E. (Aeronautical Engg), Anna University
B.E ((Aeronautical Engg), Anna University
5 years teaching experience
Ms. Neethi Madhavan C.S. – Assistant Professor
M.E. (Aeronautical Engg), Anna University
B.E. (Aeronautical Engg), Anna University
5 years of teaching experience
Mr. Deepu Sajeev – Assistant Professor
Pursuing Ph.D., Christ University
MBA, Annamalai University
M.E (Industrial Engineering), University of Kerala
B.Tech (Mechanical Production Engineering), University of Kerala
Experience : 8 years of teaching experience
Mrs. Arshi S. Babu – Assistant Professor
M.E. (Aeronautical Engineering), Noorul Islam University
B.E. (Aeronautical Engineering), Noorul Islam University
Experience : 1 year teaching experience
Mr. Pridhuvyas S. Pillai – Assistant Professor
M.Tech. (Thermal Science), KTU
B.Tech. (Aeronautical Engineering), KTU
Ms. Anishma Uday – Assistant Professor
M.Tech. (Propulsion Engineering), KTU
B.E. (Aerospace Engineering), Noorul Islam University
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEOs)
- PEO 1: Learn the concepts and principles of airborne systems to design safe and reliable components.
- PEO 2: Apply the knowledge and concepts to get solutions for the critical problems through the experimental and virtual simulations.
- PEO 3: The students will enhance the ability towards logical thinking and let their best out for the society and environment.
PROGRAMME SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSOs)
- PSO1: Ability to design airworthiness system within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, ethical and safety for sustainable manufacture
- PSO2: Apply theoretical skills to develop solutions for challenges in the domain of Aerodynamics, Space dynamics, Propulsion, Aircraft Structures and Aircraft Maintenance
- PSO3: Experiment the function of subsystem through simulations for the extension of their problem diagnostics.
- Aeronautical Engineering is the science associated with the study, design, and production of flight-capable machinery or aircraft operating techniques. An Aeronautical Engineer’s primary job is to design aircraft and thrust systems, but there can be more responsibilities added to the profile with time. Job Opportunities for an Aeronautical Engineer in India, lies with various airlines like Air India, Indian Airlines, Helicopter Corporation of India and flying clubs, private airlines and government owned air service and aircraft manufacturers like Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL), which has its factories at Bangalore, Nashik, Koraput, Kanpur etc., Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO), National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL), Aeronautical Development Establishment, Aeronautical Development Agency, Civil Aviation Department etc. The Defence services such as Indian Air Force (IAF), Indian Navy (IN), and Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) also happen to be three major employers.
- Reviewed more than 35 Technical papers from VSSC for publication in journal/ conferences.
- MS thesis titled “New Methodology For Effective Phase Unwrapping In Digital Photoelasticity”, from IIT, Madras evaluated.
- MS thesis “Digital Photoelastic Evaluation Of Stress Field Parameters For A Patched Interfacial Crack In A Bi-Material”, from IIT, Madras.
- Reviewed the technical paper titled “Separation Of Principal Stresses By Analytical Method And Digital Image Processing With Photoelastic Data” by C.W. Chang, and H.S. Lein for publication in Experimental Mechanics Journal, USA
- Reviewed the technical paper titled, “ Finite Element Simulation of Isoclinic and Isochromatic Phasemaps for use in Digital Photoelasticity “, authored by K. Ashokan and K. Ramesh for Publication in the Journal Experiemental Techniques, USA.
- External Examiner for Three MTech (Optoelectronics) thesis Viva at department of Optoelectronics, University of Kerala, 2008.
- Reviewed the paper titled “Monitoring of lubrication level of an open gear in movable bridge by using Image Processing”, Experimental Techniques Journal, USA
- Evaluated PhD Thesis titled “Kinematics of Strain Localization Accompanying Lüders Instability using Infrared Thermal Imaging and Digital Image Correlation”, Homi Bhabha National Institute, IGCAR, Kalpakkam, 2015.
- Mr. Deepu Sajeev of Department of Aeronautical Engineering was awarded for exceptional contribution as a Primary Evaluator in Toycathon 2021
- Ms. G Keerthana Krishanan of Aeronautical Engineering Department was awarded for best project from AICTE IDEA Lab at DY Patil international University, Pune 23rd – 28th September.
- Ms. Keerthana Krishnan of Department of Aeronautical Engineering has attended AICTE IDEA LAB conducted by AICTE Training and learning Academy 23th september to 28th september 2021
- Mrs. Neethi Madhavan CS and Mrs.Greeshma VS Member of KTU curriculum Committee for framing the curriculum & syllabus of Department of Aeronautical Engineering from semester 1 to 8. PROCEEDINGS NO : KTU/DIRECTOR (ACADEMIC)/1702/2019 Dated: 07.05.2019
- Webinar on Computational Fluid Dynamics in Aerospace Applications was conducted on 12/02.2021 by Dr.K Supradeepan,PhD (IIT Kharapur)Department of Mechanical Engineering BITS PILANI ,Hyderabad Campus
- Webinar on Advanced Manufacturing methods in aerospace was conducted on 20-11-2020 by Shri.Mohan,Deputy Director(MMC),VSSC
- Seminar on Heat transfer was handled by Mr.Sundar Balachandran, Group Director of Aerodynamic heat heat transfer group in Aeronautics Entity ,VSSC on 20-02-2020.
- Seminar on Finite Element Analysis of Structures was handled by Sree. T.J. Raj Thilak, Scientist/Eng.SF’FSSD/ SDAG/ STR (FEAST Software Development Division), Veli, VSSC on 16/10/2019.
- Seminar on Wind Tunnel Techniques was handled by Shri. A.E. Sivarama Krishna (Retired),Wind Tunnel Group Head, VSSC on 29-08-2019.
- Seminar on Avionics was handled by Dr. V.S Paul Russel,,Asst. General Manager , Training Manager and Chief Knowledge Examiner, Maintenance Training and Examination Organisation, Air India Engg Sources Ltd, Palayam, TVM-695033 on 03-05-2019.
- Seminar on Quality Standards in Aerospace was handled by Mr. Mohan Ananthanarayanan, BITS on 21-03-2019.
- Seminar on Non Destructive Testing Techniques was handled by Mr. Adalarasu, Former Deputy General Manager Quality Control, VSSC,TVM 21/02/2019.
- Seminar on Aerospace Structures was handled by Sree. Krishnadan. C.K , Group Head, Structural Design Group, Structure Entity, VSSC on 01-02-2019.
- Seminar on Structural Vibration : Sources and Suppression Handled by Mr.S.Rajendran, Scientist/Engineer-ISRO on 10-08-2018.
- Seminar on Computational Fluid Dynamics was handled by Dr.J Bruce Ralphin Rose,Assosiate Professor, Anna University regional campus Thirunelveli on 05-04-2018.
- Seminar on Avionics & Aircraft Safety was handled by Dr. U S Paul Russel(Assistant General Manager,Maintenance Training &Examination Organisation, AirIndia) on 05-02-2018.
- Seminar on Aeroelasticity was handled by Mr.Rajendran S (Scientist/Engineer,G head,VSSC) on 30-01-2018.
- Seminar on LMTD and NTU method,Heat Exchangers was handled by Mr.S.V Subba Rao,ISRO on 19-04-2017.
- Seminar on Heat and Mass Transfer was handled by Mr.S.V Subba Rao on 11-04-2017.
- Seminar on Propulsion was handled by Mr.S.V Subba Rao Scientist / Engineer-SG ,ISRO on 27-02-2017.
- Seminar on Practical application of Experimental Stress Analysis was handled by Dr.S.Annamalai Pillai, Deputy director (Rtd) VSSC on 21-11-2016.
- Seminar on Aerodynamic characterisation of launch vehicle was handled by Mr. SivaramaKrishnan A.E Scientist / Engineer-H ,ISRO on 03-11-2016.
- Seminar on Hybrid Propellant Combustion, RAMJET Numericals was handled by Mr.S.V Subba Rao,Scientist / Engineer-SG ,ISRO on 01-11-2016.
- Seminar on Advances in Rocket propulsion was handled by Dr. T Jyayachandran on 26-10-2016.
- Seminar on Cooling in liquid rocket engines and Combustion mechanism in hybrid rocket was handled by Mr. S.V Subba Rao Scientist / Engineer-SG ,ISRO on 07-10-2016.
- Seminar on Structural design was handled by S. Sirajudeen Ahamed Scientist / Engineer-G ,ISRO on 04-10-2016.
- Seminar on Liquid Propulsion System was handled by V. Ganesan, LPSC on 29-08-2016.
- Seminar on Aircraft Rules and Regulations was handled by Arun Kumar, Assistant Professor on 31-03-2016.
- Seminar on Enhancing the industrial and societal relevance of Engineering subjects was handled by Professor V N Rajasekharan Pillai on 29-03-2016.
- Seminar on Non-Destructive Testing (ISNT) was handled by Mr. Aadalarusu on 20-01-2016.
- A talk on Introduction of various software using in aeronautical field by CADD centre, on 10-10-2018
- A talk on GATE awareness was given by GATEFORUM on 27-01-2018.
- A talk on Career after B.Tech was given by Mr. Ashwin P Chandran, (Director of Centre for GATE) Mr. Rajesh (HR Manager) on 05-01-2018.
- A talk on Life Skills was handled by Dr. Suja R, Associate Professor, Civil department, Government College of Engineering on 27-09-2016
- A talk on CAD Design was handled by CADD centre, Attingal on 10-02-2016
- A talk on Lan
- Training on Aptitude Was given by Pragmatrix 25-09-2017 ,Time coaching centre on 26-09-2017 and Carrier Launch on 27-09-2017
- Training on Aptitude and Reasoning was given by Time coaching centre on 29-10-2015
Two day workshop was conducted on Non– powered glider and quadcopter demonstration in association with Barola Technologies on 24 and 25 th October 2019.
NEWS & EVENTS
MDP - May 2022
Kerala Startup Mission(KSUM) in association with Indian Institute of Management – Kozhikode (IIM – K) organized a four day Management Development Programme (MDP) from 25 to 28 May 2022 for selected IEDC Nodal Officers.